Seeded CLASSIC Literature - Five Novels with Information Seeds (Downloadable) (49998DL)
Ages 12 and up
Note: This is a downloadable product. It is also available in a CD format.
Help students read complete editions of classic novels that include "seeds" of information to facilitate vocabulary learning and reading comprehension.
Novels included in this set:
- The Scarlet Letter
- The Red Badge of Courage
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
- A Tale of Two Cities
- Ethan Frome
Here are a few reasons why seeded text benefits students:
- Students have difficulty understanding the vocabulary, phrasing, and factual references contained within classic novels that were published many years ago. By adding information seeds to the text, the students have a tool that they can use independently.
- Seeded literature is a differentiated approach that can be used within the general education curriculum or in special education programs.
- Research in school programs is providing evidence that seeded text improves vocabulary knowledge and reading comprehension
- Seeding provides an explanation for what is unfamiliar without interrupting the reading process. The reader does not have to leave the text to search for a dictionary or to ask for help.
The five novels in this set include three types of information seeds:
- Vocabulary words are in bold and the meaning is in (parentheses) - His body vibrated from the weight and force of his imprecations (swearing) and he could string
oaths (swears) with the
facility (ease) of a maiden who strings beads.
- Factual references are shown in bold italics and the meaning is in (parentheses) - They're going to Richmond (Virginia: could be around the time of the three-day Battle of Chancellorsville in May 1863- two years before the end of the war), or some place, while we fight all the Johnnies (soldiers of The South).
- Challenging phrases or sentences are underlined and their meaning appears in [brackets] - Presently (Now), men were running hither and thither [in different directions] in all ways ...The youth sat up and gave vent to [made] an enormous yawn.
Pages from all of the novels may be printed out by a single teacher or specialist for use with his or her students. This product is also available in a downloadable format (see link below)
FILE FORMAT for the Downloadable Version
This product is a small PDF file that you can download.
If you are unable to open the sample pages in this ad, you need to obtain Adobe Reader before using the file. Adobe Reader is available FREE at www.adobe.com
DOWNLOADING THE PRODUCT
Orders are listed as "pending" when they are placed. Once payment has been verified, an email will be sent to you. You will then need to log on to your account to view your order. You will see the word "download" in blue next to the product name. Click on the word "download" and select the "SAVE" option. Save the file to your hard drive. It's as easy as that.
There is no shipping/handling charge on this item.
Discount codes may not be applied to this item because it has already been discounted.
This product may also be ordered in a CD format (see options below).